To say that 2014 has been a challenging and emotionally exhausting year would be an understatement. From kidnappings to outbreaks of deadly diseases; airline and ferry tragedies to missile strikes – it’s no secret that we live in very uncertain times.
Add into the mix personal challenges we face with our health, relationships, and careers and it’s easy for a person to question at times whether there is hope.
It is important for us to remember – and to remind each other – that even in the most tragic of times and in times of incredible pain and discomfort, there is always moments to shine.
“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.” Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter
If you switch on the news, you’ll find it’s full of grim reports of death and destruction…all of us can do with reminders of ‘feel-good moments’.
As we navigate our way through tragedy, grief and pain, it’s important to remember that there is also beauty, creativity and opportunity – you might just have to look very hard for it… so here are a few I put together.
1. On a 40-degree day in Australia, cyclists stopped to save this koala from thirst. Source: ABC
2. This incredible act of generosity – Source: Consumerist
3. When a motorcyclist violently smashed into a car, onlookers braved the flames to pull out the unconscious man from the wreckage. Because of their heroic deed, the injured man was taken to the emergency room in time and survived the accident. Source: Time Magazine
4. This man who acted as a human chair for an elderly lady in an elevator. Source: CNN
5. The window washers who dress as superheroes when they clean at children’s hospitals. Source: Daily Mail
6. Reddit user Braffination posted, “Heading home on the Q train yesterday when this young guy nods off on the shoulder of an older man. The man doesn’t move a muscle, just lets him stay there. After a minute, I asked the man if he wanted me to wake the kid up, but he shook his head and responded, ‘He must have had a long day, let him sleep. We’ve all been there, right?’” Source: Reddit
Each of us can make someone’s day, it is as simple as sharing a joke – or saying an authentic thank you. With that in mind, we created the following video. We hope it challenges you, makes you shake your head in disbelief and above all else, makes you smile. Happiness is infectious – so feel free to share.
A big thank you to my colleagues at RedBalloon for helping me share this message.
Erin Hendry says
Thanks for sharing this message Naomi – it’s so true, it’s in those moments of sadness, frustration and despair that remembering to look for the opportunity, that spark of hope & be reminded of the things that we are grateful for that is so important…. and I love that you quoted Albus Dumbledore…spot on!