There is lots of speculation about what 2009 will look like. Some are saying ‘how can we plan – if we have no idea what the economy will be doing?’
The question I ask is would you rather be a driver of your destiny, or take what you are given?
We run online surveys on the home page www.redballoon.com.au and we asked the question this week “Do you have a New Years Resolution?” The results were as you would expect:
- • Be more healthy 39%
- • Spend more time with family/friends 16%
- • Get more organised 15%
- • Do more, eat more, rest more 11%
- • New Years Resolutions are made to be broken 16%
I wonder what the answer would be if we asked business type questions… say
- • Be more profitable?
- • Spend more time understanding my people?
- • Get more organised – and manage more efficiently?
- • Do more with less and get a better result?
- • Are plans made to be broken?
Each year at 11.00 am on the 31st of December my husband and I sit and outline our plan for the year; (it is a date in the diary) what we want to achieve professionally, personally and as a family.
This year I have set some challenging tasks for myself from learning mediation to developing a new business initiative. So even though we have no idea what the world might look like at the end of the decade. I plan to be in the driving seat. For me plans are the road map – so I know where I’m going and more importantly, I remind myself why I’m doing it.
Have a wonderful time creating 2009.